Monday, October 28, 2013

We are family.

When I walked into the bar on Tremont street, surrounded with Northeastern students also sporting their finest Halloween garb, I was immediately handed a condom with the number "55" hastily scribbled across the back. 55? I thought. Oh my goodness. 55 what? 55 WHAT?!

As it turned out, 55 was to be my raffle number when the coordinators raffled off prizes later than evening. (I know--phew.) And, as it turned out, the coordinators organized a selection of other really interesting and fun activities for the evening's participants. (Again--phew. When you're dressed up as a fairly convincing pirate in a costume made from your everyday plainclothes, you really hope for some form of distraction. I was waiting for someone to tell me, "KC, I think I've seen you wear that belt before.")

Welcome, everyone, to F(r)ight Against AIDS, a Costume Party hosted by the GlobeMed chapter at Northeastern University.

I think sometimes we forget the larger GlobeMed network with which we are fortunate enough to be exposed. Here at Brown we work so hard to support and promote U-Tena the best we can; we owe it to them to put our best effort and focus into fundraising and helping such a wonderful organization grow. It was, however, such a treat to be able to meet some fellow GlobeMedders, to experience another set of fundraising tactics, and to sympathize with the goals of our colleagues in a different chapter.

The F(r)ight Against AIDS was a marvelous success: a night of absurd costumes, World-Series-watching, condom trivia, and plenty of shameless plugs. The Northeastern chapter rented out a local bar for an evening, and invited students in costume to come for an evening of drinks, dancing, and prizes--all the while lacing the event with a little bit of Global Health education as well. (Do you know how much liquid the average condom can hold? I dare you to google it.)

NEU partners with Kitovu Mobile AIDS Organization in Uganda to support certain community building efforts. Their emphasis is on sexual health and AIDS awareness, though they also support clean water initiatives and other community issues. I urge you all--GlobeMeddlers (hehe) or otherwise--to check out the cause and the event; both will teach you a little more about the reach and the impact of GlobeMed on the world.

Once pictures come up on Facebook, I'll try to repost with a secondary update on the event, but I'm still waiting on them. (Maybe you'll catch a glimpse of me on the side of the frame. I did have someone tell me, "I can't tell if you're a pirate or just trying to be fashionable." Erm...both?) The event was a wild success, packed to the brim. I won't go into too much detail because, in truth, I want you to learn for yourself. I would love for you to do a search, find an event, and sign yourself up for a GlobeMed fundraiser at a different local school. How cool would it be if we could support the Boston chapters of GlobeMed with joint efforts? How neat would it be to show such collaboration and commitment through our actions? Communicating with other chapters offers us so much room for growth as chapters, and it truly embodies the core values of GlobeMed as an organization.

I just want to remind us all that GlobeMed is so much more than just us and our cause; we are blessed to have so many comrades across the country doing equally great work. If you have a spare moment, peruse the website or follow some of our GlobeMed brothers and sisters on Twitter. Our objectives here are based in growth and learning, and we must never forget that we can learn so much from each other as well. We are all fighting the same fight, and nothing makes for a stronger army than some bonding (and good fun).

Hats off, Northeastern, for a spectacular (spooktacular?) evening! I'm glad I could support you and Kitovu, if only a little bit. Also, thanks for the free condom. Also also, I'm still a little bitter that I lost the costume contest to a human taco.

(Who am I kidding--he deserved it. Human taco? Kudos, bro.)

peave, love and ghouls,
kc caine, '15

No comments:

Post a Comment